birding-aus

Pacific Bazas and Frogs

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Pacific Bazas and Frogs
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:39:58 +1000
Hello all

I once followed a Cicada Bird(Coracina tenuirostris: a male)  for a
considerable distance as it flew from tree to tree. As it landed in a new
tree it would give two of its cicada-like calls then sit silent peering
about the tree. It was at the height of the summer season and there  were
many cicadas about but none were calling at the time. This action was so
deliberate and consistent that it appeared to me that the bird was
attempting to induce a response
.The cicada chorus frequently seems to start with an individual calling
followed by a general response from the choir.
I did not witness any kills during the half-hour this  behaviour was
observed.

Reg
.
Reg Clark