birding-aus

Feeding Flock CORRECTION!

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Feeding Flock CORRECTION!
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:58:03 +1000
Brian Fleming wrote:

> Lunchtime today:
> Inside, 2 humans.
> Outside in Fuchsia, mulberry, casurina:
> Willie Wagtail (haven't seem him for a while) at least a pair
> Rufous Fantail
> Spinebill - pair
> Blue wren - several
> Silvereye
> Brown Thornbill
>
> Weather - cloudy following several sunny days.
>
> And heard yesterday at long range down Darebin Creek towards the Yarra
> - Corella Spp.
> > BRIAN Fleming

CORRECTION
There were NO Rufous Fantails in our garden in the mixed species feeding
flock reported by Brian! (Temporary aberration on his part, I hope!)

There was a pair of Grey Fantails,
one Willy Wagtail,
some Silvereyes, with warm pinky-buff flanks, not very dark,
at least five Superb Blue Wrens, mostly eclipse males, some obviously
 growing new tail feathers, and at least one female,
and the regular residents, the Brown Thornbills and the Eastern
Spinebills.

  It is several years since we last saw Blue Wrens in our garden - too
much tidiness in local gardens lately. Perhaps our plantings of prickly
Grevilleas and wattles are at last having some effect.  Things were very
animated for half an hour or so.

A few days ago on quite a hot afternoon the resident large (c.15")
Bluetongue Lizard was sunning itself on the path.

In Chelsworth Park nearby, the entrance road is shaded by oak trees.
There are always Spotted Doves and Wood Ducks on the road. They are
feeding on the acorns crushed by the cars. The Wood Ducks otherwise live
on the adjacent golf course. Some years ago I photographed Wood Ducks
feeding on Kangaroo Apples. Has anyone else noticed them eating acorns?
  ANTHEA Fleming in Ivanhoe, Vic.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"