birding-aus

Late Koel?

To: "jon wren" <>,
Subject: Late Koel?
From: Julian & Fay Bielewicz <>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 18:23:42 +1000
Jon:

Many thanks for the tip.  I have used "Meaty Bites" in the past.  Didn't
think of it in the case of a Koel.

In my last posting I reported seeing the female fly from my backyard only to
reappear in the tree across the road from the front of my house.  This
morning (Tuesday) the bird was BACK in my Mulberry tree.  From there she
hopped onto the church pew I keep on the back deck - next to the cage in
which I kept her while she was on R&R.  And from there onto the top of the
cage!!!!!!

She had apparently returned for a feed.  At least she gorged herself on the
fruit I had placed in a dish on top of the cage.  That fruit had been put
there for the female Figbird which I had released only minutes after
releasing the Koel and which "stayed around".  The fruit was intended as a
snack for the Figbird in case she chose to stay around for a while.

The Koel was back this morning; replenished herself on further fruit and
then disappeared UNTIL lunchtime when she returned to the Mulberry.
Incidently, Fay had put out a small bowl of lorikeet mixture (mixed with
water).  The Koel has been feasting on this - even in preference to the
fruit.  The Koel was still around this evening.

I have two questions.  Has anyone done any work on the memory retention
and/or relative intelligence of koels?

What am I supposed to do with a female Koel and a female Figbird that seem
to return for additional food?

Julian

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"