birding-aus

Duck shooting inquiry in NSW

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Duck shooting inquiry in NSW
From: "Hal Wootten" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:42:53 +1000
I am forwarding this message from Richard Gould, who buttonholed me when he
saw me wearing binoculars in an Officeworks store.  If he does not join
Birding-aus I will forward any responses that appear on BIRDING-AUS to him.
Hal Wootten
PO Box 255 Glebe 2037
Phone 02 9692 935
Fax     02 9660 1503
E-mail  <>

Message from Richard Gould

<Hi All,
I'm writing to let you all know that a review into duck shooting is being
conducted for NSW. I've been for many years working at banning this so
called 'sport' and attending the both pre 1995 NSW and current Victorian
rescue under the wildlife group banner SAFE Australia. I'm also very
committed to native wildlife both birds and mammals and involved in other
issues relating to animal cruelty prevention.
As you may be are aware we have had no recreational shooting in NSW wetlands
for five years. However a dark cloud is approaching due to Mr.J. Tingle MLC
for the Shooters Party who managed to install a five    year sunset clause
in 1995 into the Act thus requiring a review of the Duck Protection Act in
2000. We, along with our Duck coalition and environmental colleagues, are
now assembling a number of submissions regarding the many facets of this
issue.
As Lake Cowal is the NSW's primary shooting lake and as a member of the
Steering committee for the Lake Cowal Foundation I'm charged with the
responsibility of assembling Lake Cowal's position within the response. This
is coming together as we speak.
However it is also very important to send a clear and strong message that
our native birds are there to be respected and admired. As birding groups
you have a unique insight into the dynamics of birds and their habitat as
well as the 'echo tourism' potentials.
I would like to ask if you can spread the word and any groups or individuals
to please write a submission that supports the continued ban on
'recreational duck shooting' in NSW by May 19th 2000 to the
SCIENTIFIC PANEL TO REVIEW OPEN SEASON FOR WATER FOWL IN N.S.W.
Chair of the Scientific Panel
Strategic Policy Division
NSW NPWS
Po Box 1967
Hurstville 2220

To help ensure the duck season is never revisited to NSW and Lake Cowal your
support and submissions would be truly welcomed. For additional material,
information or should you wish us to speak to your group please do not
hesitate to contact me.
Would you be kind enough to send us a copy of any of your submissions you
may submit.
Regards
Richard Gould Member of the Lake Cowal Foundation Steering Committee
Director Safe Australia
Chairperson Inner-city Foreshores Community Action Group
Chairperson Camerons Cove Committee
Community Representative Noise reference committee White Bay
Community representative Northside Storage Tunnel Project
My contact numbers are
Home 02 98100 100 Fax 02 9818 3522 Mobile 0418 464 556
Email
PO Box 264 Balmain NSW 2041

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"