birding-aus

- conservation lands

Subject: - conservation lands
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:00:05 +1000 (EST)
On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Hal Wootten wrote:
> I do not know Roebuck Plains pastoral station, but if it is being acquired
> for the traditional owners, ...

Roebuck Plains pastoral station was the subject of  several Sydney Morning
Herald stories in February.  As I recall,  Roebuck Plains pastoral
station was bought by the Indigenous Land Corporation for $8 million.
The previous owners were contracted to keep operating the property.
Subsequently serious concern about the deal had lead to an inquiry.
As I recall the concerns were:

a) The property wasn't worth $8 million
b) The deal was otherwise not commercially sound
c) There was a conflict of interest for some parties
d) The people for whom the land was notionally bought didn't have
traditional ties to this land

I believe it was a local aboriginal organisation who were raising concerns.

Hope my memory isn't too faulty - and thanks to Hal Wotton for writing
a long and informative piece.

Andrew Taylor

P.S. As there are no birds above, let me mention a friend found a
freshly dead immature Sacred Kingfisher in Annandale (inner Sydney)
several weeks ago - presumably a migrant - it was the same day that Mike
Tarburton posted a report of his first sighting of the season for Sacred
Kingfisher in his part of PNG.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"