birding-aus

conservation lands

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: conservation lands
From: "Michael J Hunter" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:57:29 +1000
An article in the Sydney Morning Herald about one month ago about the Roebuck Plains being bought by the Northern Land Council for eleven million dollars for increased grazing activity, and possibly cotton growing using ground water , incidentally mentioned that the Land Council is given fifty million dollars a year to purchase land not subject to native title.

Roebuck Plains is the prehistoric delta of the Fitzroy River, immediately inland from Roebuck Bay and Broome Bird Observatory,and supports exraordinary populations of birds,eg flocks of up to 200 Yellow Chats.

If bird conservationists have sacred sites, this is one of them.

The indiginous people I have worked with and among  in many forays to the North in the last forty  years have always given me the impression that pristine land is their real heritage, not grandiose agricultural schemes.

Is it not possible that all our sacred sitesand unspoiled lands be saved by a small proportion of that fifty million dollars a year?

                                          Michael Hunter

Is there not some way that all our essentially untouched sacred sites can be saved by a small proportion of that fifty million dollars a year?

                                         Michael Hunter