birding-aus

Birding in the Hunter and around Sydney Area 1st and 2nd April 2000

To: <>
Subject: Birding in the Hunter and around Sydney Area 1st and 2nd April 2000
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 19:56:30 -0000

Showed a friend of mine from Tasmania, David Walker, some of my favourite birding areas in the Hunter and Sydney region over the weekend - 1st and 2nd April.

The Yellow Wagtail (in as yellow breeding plumage as you ever going to see it) was still present on Ash Island near Newcastle on Saturday 1st April (No Joke!!!). It was a new bird for David and I said to David that he was very lucky as It should’ve gone by now. The Wagtail was very active feeding on the road (only a few metres in front of the car giving very good and cooperative views) aswell as amongst the salt marsh on the road side. It was also seen calling from the top of mangrove for some time. Also on Ash Island were 20-30 Greenshanks, 2 Marsh Sandpipers, 2 Brown Quail, about 5 Tawny Grassbirds, 3 Caspian Terns and Mangrove Gerygones.

Still a few waders in the Stockton estuary with 2-3 Pacific Golden Plovers (among several others) in full breeding plumage (very beautiful birds indeed), a few Whimbrels, several Terek Sandpipers, Grey-tailed Tattlers etc, aswell as Mangrove Gerygones and Mangrove Heron.

Around Nobby’s Head In the mouth of the Hunter River, were about 30 White-winged Black Terns all resting together on a floating buoy with 2 Common Terns. Most of the White-winged Black Terns were in varying amounts of breeding plumage, 2 in full breeding plumage (very stunning indeed). I also saw about 10 Common Terns (in varying amounts of breeding plumage) perched on rocks with Crested Terns and Silver Gulls. Two were in full breeding plumage with complete black caps, grey underside and very long forked tail (quite graceful looking). A few Little Terns were also flying about and a dark phase Arctic Jaeger.

We also checked out Grahamston Reservoir (near Raymond Terrace) were amongst 7 Musk Ducks , one male was calling and displaying.

On Sunday 2nd April , at Mitchell Park at Cattai (about 50km north-west of Sydney), a pair of Powerful Owls were bumped into halfway along the trail along Cattai Creek. At Central Colo (about 20 km north of Windsor or 70 km north-west of Sydney), we also saw a nice male Rose Robin which has just recently come down from the highlands, a Pacific Heron, Gang-gang Cockatoo and heard a Superb Lyrebird preparing for the coming breeding season.

Edwin