birding-aus

In Reply: A sad fact of life Richard but?

To: Richard Johnson <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: In Reply: A sad fact of life Richard but?
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 01:20:37 -0800 (PST)
G'day Richard,
If you and I could find any government on this planet
that doesn't waste money, apart from my own local
government shire council of course, we should copy it
to form an Australian Government, then that small levy
you propose would be fine by me BUT this planet has
not yet seen any national government that does not
waste or for that matter cause waste of money?

Sad fact of our human existance on this planet.

So half a per. cent further down the track equals one
per. cent and so on till you get to tax rates like we
have all over the world at present with income tax.

For costs to be kept in check there is nothing that
equals, so far as we know?, the running of a tight
ship.

Long live H.M.S. Birding Australis, God bless her
captain and all who sail on her.

Richard Johnson <>
wrote:

Hi all

What I would like to hear from Birding -Aus'ers is:
would you be prepared to pay a levy through the
taxation system, along the lines of the Medicare levy,
to assist farmers and graziers to manage a significant
part of their properties for conservation purposes?
How does an extra 0.5 % sound?

Here I envisage retention of vegetation, replanting
where required, removal of production from some areas,
strategic fencing, stock exclusion and/or access
restriction, ongoing management of weeds and feral
animals and so on. There would be overlaps between
production and conservation to address e.g. how much
should they be doing in their own long-term interests
vs what should be compensated as being over and above
this level. And of course, we'd want a guarantee that
the levy was going where it was meant to. But these
details could be worked out. What I'd like to know is
what you all think of the principle. Would you see
this as a cost-effective way to guarantee the
persistence of our birds across the landscape as a
whole?

Richard

Richard Johnson
Roma District
Tel: (07) 4622 4266  Fax: (07) 46 22 4151
E-mail:

P.S. Just got news today I may be able to negotiate
with my great local council and councillors to use at
a low cost one of their buildings? to start a small
birding business, birding all aspects of the
Mornington Penninsula, such as a training centre, so
to speak for the local youth, in how to build, safely,
nest boxes and many other avian help devices etc.,
etc.,

Fingers crossed.

John A. Gamblin