birding-aus

Financing conservation

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Financing conservation
From: "Terrance Pacey" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 00:12:36 +1000
A lot has been written lately regarding the lack of commitment by
governments towards conservation.  This is a subject dear to the hearts of,
probably, all of the subscribers to birding-aus. We all agree that there is
a distinct lack of commitment AND MONEY.

My wife works in health and I sometimes work in education (when I need more
money for birding).  I am also on a number of committees which deal with
road safety.  These three areas which I am closely associated with all have
the same apparent problem - lack of commitment and money.  They are more
appealing electorally and would seem to be the sort of areas that all
politicians would embrace with open arms.  If these areas are suffering,
what chance is there for conservation.

There appears to be only one answer.  If we want solutions we have to pay
for them.  This means more taxes or all enterprises being more self
sufficient financially.  Greater costs in hospitals, no "free" schools,
large charges to use National Parks, etc would seem to be the only answers
without greater taxes.  The "user pays" principle has been put forward in a
number of areas for a long time but has generally proved to be political
suicide.  I do not see the general public approving more money being put
into National Parks, etc while they are unable to afford education for their
children and health care. Road safety is another matter again and it has
been proved that most people will not pay extra for safety. I know that I
would object to paying more taxes if they were used for such projects as
building more golf courses or race courses.  I realise that the analogy is
full of holes but I am sure that all of you are intelligent enough to see
what I mean.  Birds Australia buying and running its own reserves is one way
that those interested in conservation and birding are using the "user pays"
principle. I doubt if many donations are forthcoming from other sources.

 There is only so much money in the bucket and it is an unfortunate fact of
life that in a democratic country the bucket is used to pay for those items
that the general public feel they need.  If the government of the day does
not work this way it becomes the ex government.

I would like to tell you that I have an answer but I don't.  This is one of
the penalties for living in a democratic society.  When the general public
has been educated to accept the urgency of conservation, the politicians and
those who serve them will be forced to alter their priorities and the areas
that we all realise are vital will be addressed correctly.

Enough of the soapbox.  Let's get birding!!

Terry Pacey
Toowoomba Qld

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"