birding-aus

National Parks

Subject: National Parks
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 06:55:44 PST
Gooday all,
Tony wrote:

From: Tony Russell <>
Subject: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Newhaven et al
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:24:03 +1000

Well, much as I agree that we shouldn't let governments slide out of their
responsibilities (re Brian Everingham's comments) in regards to natural
heritage, surely it's got to a point where we cannot trust them to not do
so. I too gave money for Gluepot, and I'll give for Newhaven too, as I'm
certain will many many others.
In SA over the last ten years or so we have seen a steady depletion of park
staff to a point where many parks have no resident ranger and are
"supposed" to be looked after by staff from, in some cases, hundreds of kms
away.

We certainly feel the effect of the "economic rationalist" ideal here in Qld. When it comes to the imlementation of land management principles in our National Parks/Stock Routes and various reserves, Governments fail miserably. The bean-counters have won the day and a sorry state of affairs exists in the Sunshine State. Just remember that in most instances these reserves form the only link for our wildlife, providing thoroughfares with various habitat that eventually determines the existence of species as being common rare or even extinct. We as a community must recognise the importance of retaining these priceless resources for future generations.

This total neglect and mis-management has allowed an invasion of ferals and declared weeds into these so called pristine sites. While Graziers/Land Holders attempt to control the spread of these pests on their properties through costly control measures that are imposed as a condition of lease etc. they have to contend with further infestations occurring on properties lucky enough to adjoin a National Park.

On a positive note Landcare Groups formed throughout the State are achieving fantastic results that are looking very promising but again at a cost. Implementation of Land Management principles requires a united cooperative approach plus sufficient resources to implement the Plan.

What am I doing about this issue. Attending the next Regional Conference and Country Cabinet Meeting at Proserpine Qld. on the 16 April. Writing to the Minister for Environment and generally making a nuisance of myself no doubt. As they say the squeaky wheel always gets the oil, get involved and be prepared to take the bean-counters on face to face.

Jon Wren
PO Box 868
Bowen (Climate Capital of Australia)
Visit     www.bowen.qld.gov.au