birding-aus

Barren Grounds Nature Reserve

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 06:14:11 +1000
Greetings
The NPA birding trip I led to Barren Grounds Nature Reserve on Saturday
turned out OK, despite the constant rain over the past week, the cold,
cloudy skies and the grey background.
We all arrived and started our birding walk at 8.30am, time to have the bird
observatory hut emptied of course participants and have the Eastern
Bristlebirds come out and around, looking for whatever they needed in a most
confiding manner. The Pilotbird did not. It showed itself to Faye for a
while but decided to move itself out of here before the rest of the party
could arrive.
Not much by way of excitement for some time after that. The usual Yellow
Robins, flocks of New Holland Honeyeater, Red and Little Wattlebirds,
Eastern Whipbird, Beautiful Firetail, Crimson rosella, Eastern Spinebill,
Striated Thornbill, Leaden Flycatcher ... and several Australian Ground
Thrush on the path in the forested heath area. I was more used to them in
the wetter forest types but will take good close looks at their markings
anywhere.
Out on the heath proper and heading down along the eastern rim we had the
first of the really special moments. Lying on the path in front of us and
curled softly in somnambulance was a most impressive Diamond Python. It's
eye stared into space, its tongue licked the breeze, its stomach bulged in
two places with undigested delights. It was still there two hours later,
coiled more comfortably and with a marked lessening in bulge, more warmed by
what sun there was this day; but still stunning!
That was followed by the second thrill of this section. On the path, not
less than 2 metres away, in short grass and in full view, we enjoyed the
spectacular long study of a Ground Parrot. Up until this point we had been
more than happy with two flushes and a good fly-past but I think we will all
wish for this quality in future. We were able to observe for over 15 minutes
and I think we now all know every single feather on this bird. It kindly
turned its head a few times just to give us a few more opportunities before
it finally decided it should fly off.
The skies above were quiet though. Two Brown Falcons and one Wedge Tail
Eagle were the sum total of raptors today, though down in the valley we were
able to add Black Shouldered Kite and Australian Kestrel.
The heath did also provide large numbers of Southern Emu wren, flighty
sightings of Chestnut rumped Heathwren, Red Browed Finch and more and more
New Holland honeyeater.
One interesting piece of behaviour observed. A Beautiful Firetail was
observed on a branch doing bobbing movements. Any comment?
And any comment about us seeing a Brown honeyeater on the banksia serrata
right on the rim of the Nature Reserve? I am more used to seeing these birds
in the gardens of Coffs Harbour. My copy of the Atlas would suggest that
this is on the southern limits.
Total species list for the Nature Reserve and escarpment drive below: 38
species.
Brian Everingham.

For those not familiar with this Nature reserve it is located due West of
Kiama and up on the escarpment west from Jamberoo. It is South of
Wollongong. The heath swamps WERE wet.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"