birding-aus

Birds Australia - second major land purchase planned

To: Hugo Phillipps <>
Subject: Birds Australia - second major land purchase planned
From: "Syd Curtis" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 21:15:38 +1000
>From your email:
>
>>The old fogy element at the RAOU
>>need to get their brains out of mothballs and learn how to live with us
>>proletarians - twitchers have enthusiasm and money.
>
> The fogy component of BA has been declining towards extinction.  I can't
> see any around me now, although there may be the odd mummified corpse in
> the archives.

Hello Hugo,

        Just a quick note to let you know that away from Birds Australia H/Q
at least one old fogy still survives.

If not of his generation, I at least knew Alec Chisholm as a friend for 40
years or so.  And I recognised the RAOU as an honored institution with
conservation principles worthy of support from its inception in 1901.  The
title "Birds Australia" (may Chisholm stop turning in his grave) does not
carry the same connotation of being a serious scientific organisation,
rather is it suggestive of a nation-wide supplier of young female
companionship.

Fortunately for me, there is no shortage of worthy nature conservation
causes to support; fortunately for Birds Australia, my views appear not to
be shared by the current generation of persons interested in birds, whether
twitchers or otherwise.

Syd Curtis

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"