birding-aus

Newhaven et al

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Newhaven et al
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:03:59 +1030
Yes Tony, I fully agree with you (for this time only). Gluepot is a good
example of how a nationwide community can achieve a lot more in a few years
than the government has in decades. I think under the present system it's,
unfortunately, the only way to go if we are serious about protecting large
remnant native veg and its associated bird and wildlife.
Understaffing has rapidly deteriorated the few National or Conservation
Parks in SA. Maize Island CP, near Waikerie (gateway to Gluepot), is
"managed" by 2 rangers  whose office is only half an hour's drive away. If
it wasn't for a local service club having taken on the role of "friends
of.." the place would be totally wrecked by hoons and 4wds by now. One of
the rangers attended a cheque presentation ceremony (isn't it ridiculous! A
local community group is receiving NHT funding to fix up a state
conservation park!) during which occasion he not only admitted he'd never
been there before during his three years as a ranger, but only publicly
stated that he thought opening up Yumbarra CP near Ceduna for mining was one
of the best ideas ever! What hope have we got with people like that.
Morgan CP has one of the highest visitor densities in this part of the
state, with many people from Adelaide coming up for weekends of water
skiing, camping, etc, and it also attracts a large number of hoons and local
vandals. It is serviced by a ranger stationed in Pinnaroo, almost 300 km
away. They have given up fixing fences and signs in this park...
On a recent trip through Victoria it appeared that they may have these
things a bit better organised there , but I'd like to hear some comments
from you guys over there.

Cheers

Peter Waanders

website: www.riverland.net.au/~peterw

The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or legally
privileged.  Use or disclosure of the information by anyone other than the
intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received
this e-mail in error, please advise by return e-mail.