birding-aus

Birds striking glass

Subject: Birds striking glass
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:44:05 +1000

 The Kookaburra thinks its reflection is an intruder. Try hanging cardboard
mobiles in front of the window or drape a lace curtain across the window.

---------------------- Forwarded by Margie Reeves/NRE on 21-03-2000 03:37 PM
---------------------------

 on 21-03-2000 02:34:00 PM

cc:    (bcc: Margie Reeves/NRE)

I have recently observed a Kookaburra that appears to be deliberately
attacking its own reflection in a number of windows on my aunt's house. From
my observations it doesn't look like the bird is flying into the window by
accident. It sits on the verandah hand rail eyeing itself off, then launches
at the window with wings oustretched (the feather marks left on the glass
are impressive). This happens several times a day.

How does one avoid such confrontations? Any suggestions?

Anthony