birding-aus

electrocution

Subject: electrocution
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:16:15 +1000
John Leonard wrote:

> I know that it's not a good idea for anyone or anything to touch two
> powerlines at once, but isn't it also the case that if you touch one
> cable in two places simultaneously sufficiently far apart you create an arc,
> and the result is the same as touching two?

Not so, the wire is a much better conductor than a swan.

But what can happen is an arc between something touching a wire and
anther wire close by (think "spark plug"). The distance is dependent on
the voltage between the two wires, and tables are available for safe
working distances to HV lines. Modern cranes have proximity alarms for
this reason.

Brian Fleming

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"