birding-aus

GPS Recommendations Please

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: GPS Recommendations Please
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 22:48:32 +1100
Hi everyone
I am going to purchase a new toy, a GPS, as if I don?t already lug a lot of
stuff around when I go birdwatching or seeking
orchids !!  However for the particularly important records, pinpoint accuracy
of location is vital.
I?d appreciate input as to what to look out for and/or specific
recommendations.  I?m one of those people that prefer to
spend more to get better quality if necessary, rather than getting something
cheaper but not so reliable.  So my keys,
judging by previous emails on this subject, are:
1. Power/guts/reliability to work in remote places
2. Speed of ?locking into? a place and working out the co-ordinates
3.  Ability to use it to find my way back to my starting point (to avoid
getting lost in the mallee!)
4. Smaller rather than bigger
5.  Length of time that the GPS works between battery recharge (I understand
some can recharge/work using a car cigarette
lighter)
Ta muchly.
Irene Denton
Sydney  NSW