birding-aus

Nepal Trip

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Nepal Trip
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 12:21:40 +1000
Hello all,

First of all let me say that this is not a trip report, merely a brief
summary of what to me was the trip of a lifetime---- something I have always
wanted to do and now had the opportunity,thanks to David Siems who is at
present shivering in Japan.
Some months ago he told me that he was considering going birding in Nepal
whereupon I asked if I might accompany him he said Ok and if others wished
to do so they were well-come
up to a party of about ten or twelve.

He then arranged a very comprehensive  and economical itinerary through a
Nepalese firm called Explore Alpine Adventure (P) Ltd in Kathmandu, it ran
for a period of 28 days and was to take us from Kathmandu to Hetauda, Kosi
Tapu Wetlands then west to Royal Bardia NP, up to Pokhara and Guleriya
thence to Royal Chitwan and eventually back to Kathmandu, spending varying
periods fully accommodated, in each of these places. Our transport whilst
covering the ground varied from our regular 12 seater bus to dugout canoes,
4x4 sedans,elephants boats, jeeps and much footwork.
We moved from snow at Pulchowki to the dust of the Nepal Terai along and
even over the Indian border looking for birds. We used roads which writhed
like snakes many hundreds of feet above rushing green rivers driving under
road  and traffic conditions which still gives me white knuckles when I
think of it.
Our guide and mentor was Bharat Regmi who was the right man in the right
job, an excellent birder and a great organiser to whom nothing was too much
trouble. he showed us his country which is amongst the ten poorest in the
world and yet was full of variety and interest.
Birding-wise I am not the best qualified to comment except to say that I saw
many things I had only read about Woodpeckers, Hornbills, Wallcreepers,
Dippers, Ibisbills,Floricans etc. These were only highlights of the total of
345 species we saw/

The mammals were also present , I saw Gangetic Dolphins, Crocodiles, a
Python, Leopard, Bison, Rhinos and magnificent stags with heads like
Christmas Trees.

For all this bounty I would like to thank David( with whom I shared
accommodation ) who made this possible and for his outstanding birding
ability and knowledge; Bharat Regmi, guide and organiser extraordinaire;Alan
Wright who made his beaut Swarovski scope freely available to us all and
last but not least to all the members of the party who helped me in my hour
(weeks) of need (respiratory tract infection).
It is a pity that not all of the party got the same pleasure from this
unique experience as I have.

Maybe as Ian Clark suggests, 28 days might be a critical duration.

Reg Clark
11 Carmen St
St Ives NSW 2075
Australia