birding-aus

PARROT DATA - RFI Budgerigars

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: PARROT DATA - RFI Budgerigars
From: "Peter Them" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:29:54 +0100
Dear All ;

Greeting from Denmark.  -  By this a RFI ( Request For Informations )
about Budgerigars. - Hope some of you can help Bill Pranty ... !

Best wishes, Peter      Peter H. Them,

---------------------   message  -----------------

I am writing a paper on a population of Budgerigars that has been
established in west-central Florida since the 1960s. Numbers of individuals
reached or exceeded 20,000 birds by the late 1970s, but range and numbers
plummeted quickly, beginning in the early 1980s.

For the past 6 or 7 years, the total population remaining in Florida has
stablilized at about 150 birds, but extirpation may yet occur.

My paper will focus on the previous and current range and status of Budgies
in Florida. A "gap" in my paper is a satisfactory explanation for the cause
or causes of the population decline.

Coincident with the crash, Florida experienced severe (by Florida standards,
anyway!) cold fronts in the early and mid-1980s that many people have blamed
for the Budgie's decline. On a few days, temperatures were below freezing.

I am seeking a few references  -- preferrably peer-reviewed and published --
that prove or disprove the theory that sub-freezing temperatures could have
been responsible for the population decline of Budgies in west-central
Florida.

In their native range, how often are Budgies subjected to sub-freezing
temperatures: never, rarely, uncommonly, or frequently?

I appreciate any information provided to me, and will acknowledge all help
provided to me.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Bill