birding-aus

Video Cameras for Birds

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Video Cameras for Birds
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 08:28:55 +1000
Michael Hunter wrote (2/3/00)
Can anyone recommend a video camera, small enough to hang on the belt , with enough resolution at very high zoom to be as useful for ID as say 10x binoculars

Ralph Reid wrote (9/3/00)
There was a recent post asking if anyone new on a DVC/zoom lens combination
suitable for birding. I was waiting to see a reply...

I have seen the results of video's taken using a Panasonic Digital NVDA-1 and was extremely impressed.
The current model is a DS-11. It has a metal body and was the cheapest in their range at $2549.RRP
Its optical lens is now 20X, replacing the older 17X model.
( The digital zoom goes to 400X but would be useless, I would imagine above 50X)

The quality of close ups  (of other birds) could not be faulted, but it excelled in the capture of behaviour.

I  with a friend following a pair of Carpentarian Grasswrens --- a very small bird !
Weather was overcast and much of the time the birds were in shadows
He had his Video Camera set to about 30X and was able to capture a very usable record at about 20 meters

I was several meters behind using a Pentax MZ-50 fitted with a Sigma 500mm lens.(i.e.equiv to about 10X)
My photo's were virtually useless !
.
He also had no trouble holding his camera, often with one hand and any shakes were absorbed by the Image Stabiliser feature.
A lot easier than lugging around my camera and heavy lens combination in the roughish country.

What was recorded for posterity was the CGw both walking and hopping. A first ?
Also recorded for posterity was it picking up a 100mm skink like creature, whipping it around until the skink's back was broken.
(Identical to a Kookaburra with a Snake)

At that distance the images were not sharp, but excellent for that magnification & something that could not have been recorded otherwise.
What was impressive was viewing the video later, both at slow speed and one frame at a time.
A still camera does not capture this sort of thing and worse,  the delay between thinking about taking a photo, squeezing the button, and the shutter going off, too often misses the magic moment.
But as this was a Digital Video Camera, a PC was used to print a selected frame from the tape.

Video Camera and Desktop Video has just published "Buyers Guide 2000"  $6.95 which is a good read.
It says:-
   "The new Macintosh computers are apparently ideal for editing DV tapes (Special Firewire Ports)

    Panasonic's next generation will use the existing Smart Card in lieu if the miniature DV tape.
    Sony are already using a Memory Stick."

That has exhausted my knowledge on the subject.
I am sure someone will be able to expand further on my comments  (or correct them)
I would also like to learn if anyone else is using Video Movie Camera's and their results.

I see them also, as an ideal tool to aid identification i.e. back home checking out the heavier identification books
in front of a TV screen.

Regards..... Bob Forsyth
Mail........... PO Box 933,Mount Isa,Qld,4825
E-mail........
Phone........ (07) 4743-3210
Heat........... is just a state of mind !