birding-aus

RE: Sick cockatoo

Subject: RE: Sick cockatoo
From: "Jack Shapiro" <>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 08:22:18 +0000
7/3/00

Yesterday while at Lane Cove River Park watching a flock of Sulfur-crested
cockatoos I noticed a lone bird sitting on a post near the flock but not
feeding on the ground, although it occasionally preened itself.   When I
approached it I noticed it was a sick bird, probably suffering from a
Psittacine beak and feather disease.   While it was still feathered, half of
its lower beak was missing, so it was unable to feed on grass roots.  I felt
very sorry for it, but left it to its natural fate.

A question arises.  If predators catch sick birds because they are weaker,
and more conspicuous, then aren't they likely to become infected ?  This
could be especially important if birds of prey take such picking to feed
their young nestlings, who are more likely to succumb to this disease.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Jack

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"