PASOC 2000 - FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT
Second Pan Asian Ornithological Congress
23-29 October 2000 - Kandy, Sri Lanka
Theme: Bird Conservation - Visions for the 21st Century
Organised by the Field Ornithology Group of Sri Lanka
The specific aims of PASOC 2000 are:
· To formalise the establishment of PASOC as a viable organisation for the
· To provide a forum to present and discuss research publications of
relevance to the region.
· To provide a forum for international interaction and to plan activities
of conservation for the region.
· To collaborate with the BirdLife Asia Program to achieve:
the follow-up program on the Asian Red Data Book on Birds,
the implementation of the Important Bird Area Program in south Asia,
to review and consolidate the activity plans for implementation of the
BirdLife 2000 Program into the 21st Century.
Research presentations, seminars, workshops and poster sessions will be
organised under the following topics:
· Ecology and conservation of birds in different habitat (ecosystem) types:
forests, wetlands, arid, urban etc.
· Seabird ecology.
· Bird migration and navigation.
· Avian physiology.
· Economic ornithology.
· Breeding biology.
· Avian behaviour.
· Taxonomy and systematics of birds.
· Eco-tourism and birds.
· Development and impacts on birds.
· Threatened birds.
· Site specific conservation.
There will be a mid-conference field outing and post-conference excursions.
Anybody wishing to attend the conference, present a research paper or
poster, or organise a round-table discussion, should write immediately to:
The Congress Secretariat
CDC Conventions (Pvt) Ltd
87/4 Dudley Senanayake Mawatha
415 Riversdale Road
HAWTHORN EAST 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Web site: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>
To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"
in the message body (without the quotes)