birding-aus

Swifts and weather conditions.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Swifts and weather conditions.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:22:06 +1100
Hi all.

I read David Geering's e-mail on Swifts at Dubbo with some interest as it reminded me of two recent sightings of Needletails not far from home.The first group of 9 were seen at two separate locations on the 4Th. Feb. this year and a group of 6+ were seen at a nearby location on the 21St. Feb.

The interesting thing was that on both occasions the birds were hawking fairly low over heath type country under clear skies and near windless conditions. As far as I can remember the weather was unchanged for a couple of days before and after both these events. Ie. there was no signifigent weather change or storm front before or after the sightings.

The weather conditions described are not what the bird guides lead you to expect when you see Swifts. They describe "humid, unsettled, thundery weather"---"warm, humid, rising air" to quote two.

I am interested in hearing comments from others, was what I described unusual or have you seen something similar, or are there unusual weather conditions elswhere in Australia which may have caused our birds to act in a an untypical manner?

Bruce.

Bruce Cox.
48 Rangers Retreat Rd.  Frenchs Forest.
Sydney.   N.S.W.   2086