birding-aus

Visit to Mallacoota Area 21 - 27 January 2000

To: <>
Subject: Visit to Mallacoota Area 21 - 27 January 2000
From: "amorris" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:12:28 +1100
Hi Birders,
My wife and I recently visited the Mallacoota area, in far north-east Victoria where we stayed for six days at the Mudbrick Adobe Huts at Karbethong just west of Mallacoota. I have been to Mallacoota several times before, the first time in 1966 and again in 1996. On our visit this time I did some atlassing which included submitting 10 area searches and ten 20 minute counts at a variety of bushland and beach locations.

The highlights of the trip included seeing a Grey Plover on 26/1 at Captains Point; an adult Pacific Gull at Captains Point 23-24/1; 11 Pied Oystercatchers on Quarry Beach 26/1, one of which was colour-banded; Black-faced Shags at Betka Bch, Secret Bch & Quarry Bch; 9 Caspian Terns at Captains Pt on 26/1; 26 Royal Spoonbills at Mallacoota Wharf 26/1; a Shy Albatross dead on the Betka Beach (skull missing) 24/1; and Hooded Plovers at Betka Beach 24-27/1.

Birds which were common like Spotted Doves & Blackbirds were not seen in my 1966 visit, while Crested Pigeons which were unkown in 1996 were seen around the Adobe Mud Huts each day.

Other birds which were common in 1966 but were not seen at all in my six days this time, and we walked many tracks and drove many kms during this stay, included: Jacky Winter, Peaceful Dove, Dusky Woodswallow, Sacred Kingfisher, Scarlet Robin & White-fronted Chat.

On my return I sent the details of the colour bands to the Australian Bird & Bat Banding Scheme and they have advised that the Pied Oystercatcher was banded at Manns Beach, Cornet Inlet Vic on 7/5/93. The time elapsed is 6 years, 8 months, 19 days and the bird had moved 279 km.

Alan Morris
NSWFOC Records Officer
tel 02 43 891390