birding-aus

Powerful owl

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Powerful owl
From: "Roger McGovern" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:57:59 +1100
Wendy Bannister and I have just been observing a beautiful powerful owl on Cremorne Road, Cremorne for the last hour.  It is a magnificent bird, and it sat in a eucalypt, quite high, being buffeted by the breeze, unconcerned and preening.

Wendy was walking her dog, just as it was getting dark, when the owl flew above her head.  She was astonished by the size of the bird which she thought was twice the size of a frogmouth.  She came to get me and we've been standing there, admiring this bird and its heavy breast scalloping, very yellow feet and very dark back and tail, absolutely amazed that it should be where it was.  I thought that seeing channel-billed cuckoos from my bedroom window was pretty astonishing, but this is magic.

Louise McGovern