birding-aus

Re: [cog-l] Dick Schodde on the Mathews Collection at the National Libr

Subject: Re: [cog-l] Dick Schodde on the Mathews Collection at the National Library of Aus
From: Kenneth Er <>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 16:48:14 +0800
For those who are interested, there are a few papers related to Matthews and
birds in Canberra. The references are as follows:

Mathews, G.M. (1943). Birds of the Australian Capital Territory. Leaflet No.
53, Commonwealth Forestry Bureau, Canberra (available at the National Library
in the Matthews Collection)

Hermes, N. (1982). Historical records of birds in the southern highlands
series. Parts 1, 2, and 3. Canberra Bird Notes, 7, 45-46; 66-67; 89-90 (Part 1
is especially interesting as it addresses the statement made by Calaby in Frith
(1969) "Birds of the Australian High Country" that Mathews did little or not
field work in the ACT and based his bird list on guesswork!!!!)

Veerman, P (1986). Canberra bird list of 1943. Canberra Bird Notes, 11, 125-127.

Cheers

Ken