birding-aus

Hudwit

To: BIRDING-AUS <>
Subject: Hudwit
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 01:39:27 +1100
Hi all

Just in case there is someone out there who HASN'T seen the Hudsonian Godwit (I doubt it)...

It was still at the 'usual' spot at the southern end of the Western Treatment Plant (i.e. Werribee Farms) near Avalon Airfield yesterday morning. I thought I'd see a few other birders going for it, but then realised that, although I live closer to this site than anyone else who knows what a godwit is, everybody who wanted to see it almost certainly has already.

Yesterday I observed a group of 6 godwits from about 6.45 am to 8.20 am. In that time all birds showed their underwing clearly, but I didn't get a good long look at the Hudsonian until 8.20. The group of six godwits were together for about the first hour, then the 5 black-taileds moved further away. The Hudsonian joined them at about 8.21. They stayed at this further spot for at least another 20 minutes or more - then I left to look for other things.

Others have given clear directions for this spot. Take a steady tripod or a stool or both as it's often windy and you might have a long wait for those underwings.

Other interesting but expected birds for the morning were plenty of duck at the same spot as the godwits - Musk, Pink-eared, Shoveler, Shelduck, both teal etc. Also a few Blue-billed at the very southern end of Lake Borrie (near the publicly accessible boat ramp) - also White-winged Black Terns and Whiskered Terns here. A single Gull-billed Tern was a little less expected - with the godwits. Are these usual here at this time of year? A pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles across the lagoon made the You Yangs' morning backdrop look even better. My only complaints for the morning were a possible Black Falcon near the Pt Wilson Rd / Beach Rd intersection -didn't give me much of a look. And none of the Sharpies around Pt Kirk could be turned into a Pectoral Sandpiper, a bird which I'm keen to get off my long list of embarrassing omissions.

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Manager

Ph (BH/AH) (03) 52 739 237
Fax       (03) 52 739 371