birding-aus

Re: Aviary escapers / releasees

To: "Ian Clark" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Re: Aviary escapers / releasees
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:38:33 +1100
As to the issue of whether unusual species that are kept in captivity
turning up in suburbia, one of the means of deciding, is statistical. In my
text for the Garden Bird Survey of 1101 observer years in Canberra (17
years), I used the aspect of how commonly such odd species are recorded,
relative to how often they are kept as pets or in aviculture. There are of
course many other factors involved but I can tell you that, based on a big
sample, (though I did no statistical tests on this), the match is very good.
As for the Button-quail in captivity, Mark Shephard's book 'Aviculture in
Australia', says Little B-q "is a popular aviary bird" (funny, I don't think
I've seen it); Painted B-q: "is inexpensive and relatively easy to breed in
captivity", Red-chested B-q: "is very uncommon in captivity and expensive".
I could resurrect my tale of the experienced aviculturalist who was trying
to achieve success breeding a Stubble Quail with a Painted B-q. I managed to
set him right using the first edition (Volume 1) Slater Field Guide (when it
was brand new), this was about 28 years ago. He wasn't very happy, he had
paid a lot of money for them from someone who had been trying for years to
get them to show an interest in each other and was very proud of the aviary
he was building for them, to be told by some 15 year old drop-in visitor. I
think apart from being different families of birds they were the same sex.