birding-aus

Painted Button-quail at Richmond VIC

Subject: Painted Button-quail at Richmond VIC
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:07:04 +1100
Hi all,
I agree with Edwin on this one. Don't be too quick to rule out the
possibility that the Painted Button-quail specimen located by Paul Peake was
a natural occurrence (or at least natural in the sense that it got there
under its own steam, regardless of the fact that it might have died having
been attracted by lights and/or after a collision with a vehicle or
powerlines).
Painted Button-quail occur in Warrandyte State Park less than 20 km from
Melbourne (Vic) as the quail flies and I've seen quite a few just a little
further out around Wonga Park and the like. As for quail and Button-quail
flying long distances and landing in unlikely places refer to 'Quail that go
bump in the night' (1999) M. M. Crouther and K. W Crouther Corella Vol. 23
no 2 pp 43-47. The Crouthers banded 156 Red backed Button  Quail, 14
Red-chested Button-quail, 15 Painted Button Quail, 2 little Button-Quail, 7
King Quail and 6 Brown Quail that crashed into the township of Eungella
(QLD) (over an eight year period) on foggy nights to be caught with hand
nets. Only two species (Brown Quail and Painted BQ) were regarded as
resident in or near Eungella by the authors and it was concluded that most
birds captured were involved in major movements across the Clarke Range.
Rohan