birding-aus

Fiordland Penguin and Franklins Gull

To: Ken Tucker <>, Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: Fiordland Penguin and Franklins Gull
From: Tony Palliser <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 12:54:09 +1100
Ken,
In the interests of bird safety I suspect our National Parks and Wildlife staff
(and other groups) have been told to move any moulting penguins into captivity
until they have finished their moult - this is to protect them from dogs and
cats etc - which is reasonable.

Sometimes though, they are (in my opinion) moved unnecessarily - causing
significant stress to the bird. In locations like this one (so I understand) the
bird is well out of harms way and despite a few onlooking birders it is better
off where it is.

More often than not you only hear about penguins in newspapers after the event
and it is particularly frustrating for people who want to go and have a look.  A
few years ago I witnessed 'officials' disturbing an Erect-crested Penguin
unnecessarily and was quite appalled to be honest - A rope was used to lower
themselves down to the bird.

Regards
Tony