birding-aus

birding-aus World Wetlands Day 2000

Subject: birding-aus World Wetlands Day 2000
From: Joyce Harding <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:42:40 +1100
Happenings - 2000

Ramsar --  Convention on Wetlands

WORLD WETLANDS DAY
2nd February 2000

Theme for year 2000,  "Celebrating Our Wetlands of International Importance"

As World Wetlands Day 2000 draws near, we find that the 116 member countries
to the Ramsar Convention have designated more than 1000 wetlands for the
Ramsar List, covering nearly 720,000 square kilometres, about the same area
as Spain and the United Kingdom combined. These wetlands combine to create a
world wide reserve helping in the conservation of all birds but particularly
wetland and migratory species. Australia, being a dry continent, needs to
protect and maintain all wetlands, both coastal and those on inland drainage
systems. When we visit wetlands we should be aware of the values and
benefits that are gained by healthy wetlands throughout the country and
remember how easily they can be destroyed.

 New Australian wetlands of international importance listed under Ramsar at
Costa Rica COP7-
        Great Sandy Strait,  Qld includes Great Sandy Strait, Tin Can Bay and
Tin
Can Inlet (93,160 hectares).
        Gwydir Wetlands, NSW  first Australian entirely privately owned listed
site.
        Myall Lakes, NSW
        Narran Lake Nature Reserve, NSW terminal wetland at the end of the
Condamine River system which flows from Queensland.

Ramsar Vision-
'To develop and maintain an international network of wetlands which are
important for the conservation of global biological diversity and for
sustaining human life through the ecological and hydrological functions they
perform'.

Watch out for WWD2000 events in your region or celebrate quietly at your own
favourite wetland.
------
Ramsar Worldwide Web:- http://ramsar.org/
International Institute for Sustainable Development:-
http://www.iisd.ca/ramsar/cop7/