birding-aus

birding-aus FNQ news

To: "" <>
Subject: birding-aus FNQ news
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 13:30:56 +1000
Hi folks,
Just a quick bit of news for any birders heading this way; The Little Bitterns are still at the Cairns Croc farm (near Edmonton, not the Hartley's Creek one north of Cairns). Meg Cameron, Liz Kerr and I saw 4 individuals in the space of an hour from 1545-1645 on January 7, including an adult male twice, a streaky immature type bird and two in female type plumage (one of these was in the ponds to the north, flushed from long grass by two workers). Other nice species here were Black-necked Stork, White-browed Crake and Buff-banded Rail, Brown-backed Honeyeater, Yellow Oriole and Crimson Finch. Tell them you are  birders and you can get in for A$8.00 instead of A$11.00 for the croc watchers.
We travelled inland on January 8, highlights being Black-throated Finches and Squatter Pigeons along the road to the Mareeba Wetlands Visitor Centre (closed until April 2000 by the way), tremendous views of at least 8 Blue-faced Finches at Mt. Lewis, feeding in small bushes and sometimes associating with Red-browed Finches, a Fernwren calling nearby, excellent looks at Mountain Thornbill and also Grey-headed Robin.
We finished with good views of 8 Red-rumped Swallows on wires by the first houses on the left as you turn-off from the main highway south of Mossman to Mt. Molloy, about 200m from the turn-off itself. The folks at Kingfisher Park tell us that there have been up to 18 here, so if you need it for your list now's the time!
This diversion cost us a Cassowary however, a female came in very late at Cassowary House that afternoon, staying until nearly 1900- this is unusual as they have normally gone by about 1700. We got back just after it had left-oh well!

Good birding
Phil Gregory, Cassowary House, Kuranda