birding-aus

birding-aus Common Koel spitting out seeds

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Common Koel spitting out seeds
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 22:18:50 +1100
Hi everyone and Happy Happy New Year
On Monday 3 January I had a female Common Koel give away her location by
calling from a wattle tree in my backyard.  Wow - what a great view.  She
sat there calling, her beautiful spotted wing feathers dappled in the sun
(pretty good camouflage).  She also preened and over a period of 15 minutes
regurgitated 7 seeds (all of the same type).  She then flew to my birdbath
which was (after my absence for a few days), unfortunately empty.
When she took off, I went and inspected the area under the wattle tree.
There were many more than the 7 seeds, indicating she had used the tree
quite a bit in the previous week.  If anyone is studying the food of Common
Koels, I can easily provide samples of the seeds (I have no idea what they
are).
I cleaned up and refilled the birdbath.  Yesterday there were two of the
seeds in the water, showing that a Koel had sat at the birdbath, presumably
had a drink, but certainly spat out more of these seeds.  I've removed the
seeds and refilled the birdbath so it will be interesting to see if more
seeds turn up in the water.
Irene Denton
Happy birding to you - I know it makes me happy

quotes)

be birding-aus" in the message body (without the
quotes)