birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Collared Sparrowhawks in SE Melbourne

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Re: Collared Sparrowhawks in SE Melbourne
From: "Nigel Sterpin" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 20:01:37 +1100
G'Day Michael and top of the millennium to you,
Have just come back from Big Desert and Wyperfield Wilderness Area. I have
identified a raptor as either Brown Goshawk or Collared Sparrowhawk. There
were three birds in the one spot...2 parents? and a slightly fleecy
juvenile, hopping around cypress pines. Was off-white with brown 'V'
striping continuously down its front. It had brown on its head and its wings
were of the dark brown you find on a Black Falcon. It continually made a
"kee-kee-kee-kee-kee" noise. (I am sure I have heard this noise plenty of
times before...is there another bird that makes this call?). Which of the
two would it be??
Thanx in advance, Nigel