birding-aus

birding-aus Fork-tailed Swifts at Bowen, Queensland

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Fork-tailed Swifts at Bowen, Queensland
From: "Jon Wren" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:11:51 +1000
Greetings all
Trust that you all survive the Y2K bug, I rubbed plenty of Rid over my
computer.
This is for the Swiftman, Mr. Tarburton I think.
Yesterday (29 December, 1999) while conducting an Atlas count at 18.00 at
Kings Beach, Bowen, Qld.(20.00.00S 148.15.45E), I found the sky alive with a
large feeding flock of Fork-tailed Swifts.
On arrival the birds were feeding fairly high but soon started feeding at
about 2-5m from the ground with others up higher. It was difficult to get a
number in the flock as the birds were well spread. As I scanned the horizon
from Flagstaff Hill in the South through to Mother Beddick in the North I
could see little dots darting through the air in the distance. Too far away
to positively identify but by their movements and jizz they were Swifts.
This flock seemed to comprise only Fork-tailed Swifts and a rough estimate
would be 400+. The flock remained in this area for an hour feeding and did
not seem to be moving in any direction.
I did get a report from Jo Wieneke that Fork-tailed Swifts were sighted at
Cungulla near Townsville, North of Bowen the previous day so could possibly
be the same flock.
If you require any further information please feel free to contact me.

Jon Wren
PO Box 868
Bowen (Climate Capital of Australia)
Visit     www.bowen.qld.gov.au