birding-aus

birding-aus Spotted Whistling-Ducks

To: "" <>
Subject: birding-aus Spotted Whistling-Ducks
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 10:14:53 +1000
Hi folks,
I just had this reply to a note that was published in The Frogmouth,
thought some of you might be interested:

"I've been keeping loose tabs on the Spotted Whistling Ducks ever since
David Niland contacted me about them in 1995. I didn't see them that
year, but I have every year since.
They usually turn up after the first good solid rains then disappear
close to
Easter. The rains have set in over the last week. I went out to the
Awanga
Point Sewage Treatment Plant (Weipa) yesterday (27/12/99) and saw 2 of
the
birds.
Their numbers are variable. Maximum numbers 95/96 42 birds; 96/97 27
birds; 97/98 25 birds; 98/99 5 birds."

Michael Barnett
6 Kooloo Court (PO Box 516)
Weipa  Q  4874

Thanks to Michael, and good birding in 2000
Phil Gregory

quotes)