birding-aus

birding-aus Highlights 1999

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Highlights 1999
From: "Karen Pearson" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 23:10:48 +1100
My highlights are very simple.... but I've loved reading everyone else's so
I thought I'd share mine too.

Due to being pregnant the first half of the year and with a new baby the
second half, my birding has been a little on the slow side but.....

Number 1.   My first Rufous Bristlebird at a Port Campbell (Vict) tourist
lookout.  I was sat on a bench breastfeeding bubs and noticed the
Bristlebird running back and forth across the path ahead.  Fun part was
standing up for a better look, still holding bub feeding, while trying to
hold binoculars AND focus one-handed on a very uncooperative bird,  all the
while maintaining my dignity (or trying too) in case of any prudish
passerbys.   I did get coordinated on the 4th attempt !  Talk about
multi-tasking.  [ I'm fairly new to birding.... will this pass the 'Strange
Birding Experience' initiation? Am I _in_ yet? ]

Number 2.   Helping Michael Norris with Friends of Native Wildlife (Bayside)
study the local Superb Wrens...... and last weekend watching a male SW, that
we'd previously watched tending its young in the nest, feeding its newly
fledged offspring.   Since becoming familiar with these little birds I could
watch them all day.

Certainly not as exciting as many other accounts, but all in all,  very
memorable.

Merry Xmas everyone.
Karen :)

quotes)