birding-aus

birding-aus Sanderling by the hundred

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus Sanderling by the hundred
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:53:07 +1100
>Subject: birding-aus Sanderling by the hundred

  Yesterday we found 200+ Sanderling at the mouth of the Murray River
(SA).  They, along with 14 Pacific Golden Plover, were located on the
uncovered sand bars  near the mouth of the river and could be easily seen
from close range from the Hindmarsh Island side.

Another sighting of interest was one not so common Common Tern.

Bob Sothman & Rolly Lloyd

Gee whizz, what I would give to see those Sanderling. I have searched the
sandbanks at Caloundra, SEQ, for years, but have never managed to locate
even one here. We did see a few dozen once on the beach at Strahan in
western Tasmania. Well done, Bob & Rolly.

Conversely, come on up here for Common Terns. We had about 4000 here last
week. Biggest number I've ever noted here. Perhaps they're on their way to
you now.

Cheers,

Jill

Jill Dening