birding-aus

birding-aus 1999 bird highlights

Subject: birding-aus 1999 bird highlights
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:43:06 +1000

Highlights of 1999?  Combined with  1998 this would be the quietest birding
period I have ever had.  Field trips to north-east Victoria, particularly
Killawarra State Forest, looking for the elusive Regent Honeyeater were always
nice, as was getting back to my old stomping ground, the Capertee Valley, for
the same purpose.  My two trips to the NW Vic mallee in October were great - a
few new birds and plenty I hadn't seen in a while.

In no particular order:

*  Large numbers (400+) of Swift Parrot at Killawarra along with breeding Regent
Honeyeaters April - August.
*  Sitting around relaxing at Bobinawarrah (NE Vic) watching Regent Honeyeaters,
Painted Honeyeaters and Diamond Firetails while drinking tea and eating cake in
October.
*  A flock of 400+ Plum-headed Finch with plenty of Zebra Finch, Red-browed
Finch, Double-barred Finch and Diamond Firetails mixed through in the Capertee
Valley in September.
*  Plenty of breeding Regent Honeyeaters in the Capertee Valley in September,
after a miserable breeding season for them in 1998.
*  Regent Honeyeaters (breeding), Glossy Black Cockatoos, Speckled Warbler,
Square-tailed Kite near Gulgong in September.
*  Rufous Bristlebird at Loch Ard Gorge (these were seriously charismatic birds)
*  Impressive flocks of Budgerigars at Hattah and Pink Lakes in October

Am going to have to sit down and think about the birding highlights of my two
years in Melbourne, As I said my quietest two years bird-wise ever.  Off to
continue my work with Regents in the sunny mid-west of NSW (Dubbo) from late
January.  Looking forward to getting back to the country where I should have
more opportunity to get out among it again.

David Geering

quotes)