birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Birds of the Solomons, Vanuatu and New Caledonia

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Birds of the Solomons, Vanuatu and New Caledonia
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 21:52:39 -0800
John Leonard wrote:

> I've just been looking at a copy of The Birds of the Solomons, Vanuatu and
> New Caledonia, by Doughty, Day and Plant.
>
> It's a very nice book, and great for armchair birding

I feel this book is a bit of a stop gap, and considering its (lack of)
thickness a rather expensive one. If you look at the amount of
information per species available in say Pizzey and Knight, Grimmit,
Inskipp& Inskipp (India), the Robson's new SE Asia guide (I'm taking
that on faith as I havn't seen it yet) etc then Doughty's book isn't in
the same leauge (except on price). A friend of mine spent over a year in
the area concerned researching for a book to cover the gap between
Beeler's New Guinea guide and Pratt's Tropical Pacific one. He amassed
lots of data (and discovered a new species of White-eye in the process)
but last I heard was working in Africa so I have no idea about
publication dates.

Ian Lewis, Dorset UK.

quotes)