birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Knowledge Gaps (Waders)

To: David Geering <>, Birding Aus <>, Michael Atzeni <>
Subject: birding-aus Re: Knowledge Gaps (Waders)
From: Phil & Linda Cross <>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:45:11 +1000
David,

>Likewise, in the Hunter, some species were much more common than counts
>by land based counters indicated.  Marsh Sandpiper and Greenshank often
>used roosts away from the major roosts containing other species.  My
>counts might amount to 500 of eash species while other birders were
>reporting only 30 or so.  This is fine as long as those looking at the
>figures are aware of the differences in how the counts were obtained.
>There is a real danger that, in the future, the figures are interpreted
>as a decline in polulation when in actual fact only a small proportion
>of the population was being counted.

I must check the countsheets more closely in future regarding the Marsh
Sandpiper and Greenshank to compare with the Hunter region.  I know of 3
main roosts where Greenshank can be found at high tide (Manly Boat
Harbour, Toorbul and Deception Bay), the later site had 37 Greenshank
and 4 Marshies during the high tide count on 11-12-99.  This site, which
Phil & I count usually has good numbers of both but the lagoon only had
a pool of water covering 10% of the site and suspect that it could have
been the reason Marsh SP numbers were lower.

I am in agreement with you regarding future interpretation of wader
count figures.

Linda Cross
QWSG

quotes)