birding-aus

birding-aus Cicadabird near Melbourne

Subject: birding-aus Cicadabird near Melbourne
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:13:38 +1000

I can't believe just how little birding I have done since arriving in Melbourne
almost two years ago!!  As compensation, yesterday I went out and lurked around
Kinglake NP, north-east of Melbourne and not that far from home.

After some initial drizzle the rain let up but it remained fairly cold (I shall
not miss the Melbourne weather when I am gone).  It was quite pleasant getting
out and seeing some nice birds.  Rufous Fantails were fairly common (saw one on
1 December just around the corner from home in Diamond Creek which was a very
nice addition to my home atlas sheet).  Lyrebirds and Pilotbirds were common and
the Olive Whistler was the first I had seen for a few years (I really should
have got out more often while in Melbourne).

One of the main reasons I went out was to have a look for Pink Robins (as I
said, I don't get out much).  Plenty of Rose Robins and a few Flame Robins but
no definite Pinks.  Will get out again and do some more searching X-mas - New
Year.

The highlight of the day was renewing acquaintances with a Cicadabird.  As far
as I am aware these are rather scarce in this part of the world.  This was on
the Old Kinglake Road north-west of Yarra Glen.  It was rather vocal and a good
view was had of a male.  I used to see these all the time and hearing it
yesterday was like meeting an old friend.  Completed about half a dozen or so
atlas sheets.

David Geering

quotes)