birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Wandering Tattler

To: <>, "Tom Clarke" <>, "birding-aus" <>, "Adrian Ryan" <>, "Harold Tarrant" <>, "Peter Ekert" <>, "Peter McLauchlan" <>, "Peter Phillips" <>, "Phillip Rankin" <>, "Sue Hamonet" <>
Subject: birding-aus Re: Wandering Tattler
From: "Phil Straw" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 18:24:35 +1100
Alan,

As I pointed out on Saturday, the only reliable identification
characteristics of the Wandering Tattler is the longer wing feathers ie
longer than the tail when at rest. After a number of sightings (about 15) I
came to the conclusion that at times the other characteristics are not
reliable. At times the length of the primaries is also of little use, for
example when the longest primaries are in still growing after the old ones
have been moulted. Also in some cases when the pre-moult primary feathers
are badly abraded or broken. I have a number of photographs of Wandering
Tattlers but didn't get a really good chance to get a good one of the Hunter
bird before took flight. The only shot was of the bird partially obscured by
a Grey-tailed Tattler (ie the tail and wing tips!). I am not sure how it
will turn out due to back lighting.

Although the primaries of the Hunter bird were old feathers they were
obviously longer than the tail feathers (all intact as seen when in flight).

Regards, Phil