birding-aus

birding-aus RFI - Unusual banding on Turnstone

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus RFI - Unusual banding on Turnstone
From: "Colin Richardson" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 22:51:17 +1000
I received the a message on the Bulletin Board for Ornithologists working
with Neotropical Birds (NEOORN-L) in Spanish requesting assistance on an
unusual band noted on a Ruddy Turnstone. My translation follows (as close
as my not so fluent Spanish can get it, with the aid of a dictionary!).
Anyone with any info, please contact the address in the message (Patricia).
I post this because it seems obvious already that the band concerned is
unknown in the Americas; Turnstones being worldwide, perhaps this one was
banded in our area!!? I'd be interested in a copy of any response to
Patricia.

TIA,

Colin T. Richardson
P.O. Box 86, LAE 411, PNG
Ph. (675) 472 1488 (work)
      (675) 472 5657 (home)
Fax (675) 472 1873
Email:

-----------------------------

Greetings to all!

Recently Alain Ledreff observed in Kourou, French Guiana, an Ruddy
Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) carrying the following combination of bands:
Left leg, nothing on the tibia, bicolored BLUE and RED plastic band on the
tarsus. Right leg, metal band on the tibia, nothing on the tarsus.

The strange thing is that the bicolored band had the colours separated in
the vertical plane (not horizontal which is normal for multicoloured
bands). I have already consulted with the Panamerican Shorebird Program
(USA, Canada), and with CEMAVE of Brazil; however we know that this bird
was not banded in French Guiana. Besides, none of the persons consulted
have seen a band of this class, just like this.

Do you know of anyone who uses this type of vertical bicoloured bands? Any
information about this is welcome and gratefully received.

Patricia M. Gonzalez
Coord. Prog. Humedales
Fundacion Inalafquen
C.C. 84