birding-aus

birding-aus RE: Breeding Pied Honeyeaters

To: "'Peter Menkhorst'" <>,
Subject: birding-aus RE: Breeding Pied Honeyeaters
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:55:42 +1100
Hi all,
I understand a Pied Honeyeater nest with eggs was located at Goschen Reserve
(Lake Boga) about a month ago. I could not find it when I visited and do not
know whether the record was lodged (or will be lodged) with one of the
relevant atlas schemes. I will endeavor to chase this one up with the
observer.
The only ref I know of that refers to PHs breeding in Vic is that of Burgess
(1947) Honeyeaters in the Mallee. Victorian Naturalist 63, 211-214. He
states 'It was spending so much time in this locality (Manya NW Vic)
.....that led me to the discovery of a species new to me and also the
district, and later to record it nesting, for the first time, I believe, in
Victoria. This was the rare Pied Honeyeater....'.
There may be more documented elsewhere but clearly PH breeding events are
extremely rare in Vic. Reiterating Peters point all such records should be
documented and submitted to either the BA nest record scheme (ideally), BA
atlas scheme, or the NRE Vic Wildlife Atlas Scheme.
Rohan

quotes)