birding-aus

birding-aus Re: RFI audio ID aids

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Re: RFI audio ID aids
From: "Paul Taylor" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:35:36 +1100
> I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some tapes or CDs I could
> listen to to prime my ear for a few months around Sydney and Brisbane up
> to Mackay. It's be nice to distinguish between calls of common birds
> and those I might only get a shot to see once. If you know where I
> could find them (the tapes or CDs, that is), even better. Also, I'm
> still looking for bird lists, or a place to get them, for places like
> Syney and Brisbane, and Lamington and Carnarvon, and Royal NP. Thanks.

David Stewart has a number of CDs and tapes covering Northern NSW and
Queensland:  http://www.naturesound.com.au/  I used his "Voices of
Subtropical Rainforest" CD to get my ear in before going to Lamington,
and found it very helpful.  He also has a cassette specifically for
Lamington (should be available from the shop at O'Reilly's, and possibly
Binna Burra) and two cassettes "Queensland's Wet Tropics and Great
Barrier Reef", though I haven't listened to these.

Also quite good are the Listening Earth CDs by Andrew Skeoch and Sarah
Koschak:  http://www.listeningearth.com.au/  Their "A Walk in the
Rainforest" CD was helpful for tropical Queensland birds, though I didn't
have time to listen to it as much as I would have liked.  Their website
has detailed field notes for the CDs which are terrific, giving the times
within tracks for particular birds and location details.

BOCA (http://www.birdobservers.org.au/Birdsong%20catalogue%2099.html)
and Birds Australia (http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/shop/audiovideo.html)
have these and other bird call CDs and tapes for sale.