birding-aus

birding-aus Carlisle State Park, Victoria

To: "" <>
Subject: birding-aus Carlisle State Park, Victoria
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:31:02 +1100
Dear All,
Twelve Birds Australia Vicgroup members spent last weekend at the Carlisle
State Park in the Otways, south west Victoria. The park is dominated by
extensive closed heath communities interspersed with pockets of wet sclerophyll
forest. The weather on Saturday was a real corker but we spent most of Sunday
dodging the rain (which is probably more typical of this neck of the woods). We
concentrated on doing atlassing at various spots in the park and chalked up a
very healthy bird list by midday on Sunday, when we decided the rain had beaten
us!
Best birds of the weekend were Southern Emu-wren (the density of these birds
here must be astounding, they could be heard from almost any area of heath and
at one stage I was surrounded by about 12 birds!), a male and female Olive
Whistler, Beautiful Firetails, a Rufous Bristlebird (a little bit outside the
park - they occur quite far inland in the Otways), nesting Satin Flycatchers,
Brush Bronzewings, very large numbers of Blue-winged Parrots, Gang-gang
Cockatoos, Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoos, a very active Owlet-nightjar seen in
the midmorning on Sunday, Collared Sparrowhawk, a White (Grey) Goshawk, Rufous
Fantails and so on.
As you can see, this is an above average birding spot! And apart from the birds
it is also scenically very attractive. I certainly recommend it to anyone
visiting the area. If you would like more details please drop me a line.
Many thanks to Margaret Cameron for her superlative organisation of the weekend!
cheers,
Susan

Susan Myers
Ph. +61 3 9899 9303