birding-aus

birding-aus Re: painted honeyeaters in capertee valley

Subject: birding-aus Re: painted honeyeaters in capertee valley
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:24:44 +1000
Andrew

Painted Honeyeaters are regular spring/summer migrants to the Capertee
Valley (although I have seen them in July).  They are usually fairly easy
to find along the river where they feed in the mistletoe-laden River
She-oak.  This is all very well but ...

Most of the habitat I have just described is on private property and is
effectively off-limits to birdwatchers.  I can confidently say this as I
was researching Regent Honeyeaters in the valley from 1994-1997 and
developed a good rapport with the landholders and enjoyed pretty much free
access to most areas.  However, most landholders are very adamant that they
do not want people marching over their land (technical arguments about
exactly who owns land along waterways doesn't carry much weight in the
country and are counter-productive)  My access was allowed on the proviso
that others understood this.  In order to maintain good relationships with
these landholders, they are really starting to come to the party with
protecting habitat for Regent Honeyeaters, we would discourage any
potential trespassers.

The best access points to this habitat, and therefore to Regent Honeyeaters
and Painted Honeyeaters, are where roads cross the river.  This is near the
junction of the Glen Davis Road and Glen Alice Road and on Glenowlan Road
(back towards Rylstone from Glen Alice - first road on left after start of
bitumen).  This latter spot is quite a nice place.

Hope this helps.  Even if you don't see Painted Honeyeaters it's a glorious
place.  Then again, I might be biased.

David Geering

quotes)