birding-aus

birding-aus Leg flagged Little Terns

Subject: birding-aus Leg flagged Little Terns
From: "Chris Presland" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:41:28 +1100
At Shoalhaven Heads on the NSW South Coast, yesterday 21 November, I spotted my
first Little Terns (5) of the season, but a better surprise was that two
carried coloured leg flags.

The first bird:
Right leg - black flag over metal band
Left Leg - black flag over red flag

The second bird:
Right leg - blue flag over metal band
Left leg - Black flag over green flag

A third bird had a metal band only

Another two birds were also present - all five were in full breeding plumage.

In the 25 minutes that I was observing them, there was much calling and
dancing, what I presume to be courtship behaviour.

As the first leg flagged birds I have identified in the field, can someone
please advise who I should send this observation to?

Thanks

Chris Presland
Toolijooa NSW South Coast

quotes)