birding-aus

birding-aus HBOC outing

To: "birding-aus (messages)" <>
Subject: birding-aus HBOC outing
From: "Alan Stuart" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 22:22:29 +1100
Hunter Bird Observers Club had its November outing today, to a location
near
East Seaham (approx 20 km NW of Newcastle).  It was a great day out. For
those interested, we were at a private property called Bush Haven, where
the owners Jenny and Ken Musicka have a cabin available for overnight
guests (looked good, cost seemed reasonable).  On today's basis, where we
recorded 107 species, it's not a bad place to stay!  The total count
included a few night birds heard by people staying on Saturday night.  The
full list is below.

A highlight for me was the number of breeding species we found - these
included Brown Thornbill, Brown Gerygone, Brown Goshawk, Noisy Friarbird,
White-throated Gerygone, Black Swan, Wonga Pigeon, Scarlet Honeyeater,
Eastern Yellow Robin, Spotted Pardalote,  Lewin's Honeyeater,
White-breasted Woodswallow, White-throated Nightjar.
Concerning the latter - we found a pair of with a "nest" with 1 egg.  It
was the most basic nest I've ever seen - the egg just laid amongst some
fallen gum leaves.

The full list for the outing is:
Brown Quail
Black Swan