birding-aus

birding-aus Bird scarers

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Bird scarers
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 22:32:32 +1030
At the school where I teach we have a considerable problem with Rock Doves roosting and nesting in all the nooks and crannies around the old buildings. They are something of a health hazard with all their droppings etc.

Last week three workmen installed a series of lines around the highest parts of the roof to which they attached a number of hawk shapes, presumably to scare the pigeons away.

They were very successful; the men, that is, not the scarers.

While the men were up on the roof the birds they were trying to scare away kept circling at a safe distance. As soon as they had descended from the roof, the pigeons resumed their nesting and roosting, often within 2 metres of the wildly flapping hawk shapes.

There is a message there somewhere.

Happy birding.

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge